Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wish on a Star

Have you ever loved a quilt so much that although you made it for someone else, you feel deep down in your soul that it was really meant to live with you?  That is how I feel about this quilt.  So much so that it is the first quilt that I have ever named... and I even went out on my lunch hour in 15 degree weather just to photograph it because it is supposed to snow again tomorrow.  I’m telling you… it is true love.

However, as possessive and selfish as I am feeling, this one is going off to my dear friend Dan and his wife Cara who are having their first child.  Cara has a history of quilting, which is the ONLY reason that I am allowing this one to leave my greedy little hands.  I know she will appreciate for all its beautiful quilty qualities. 

This quilt was actually a reimagining of a quilt I saw a picture of on Flickr.  I just loved the way that the stars radiate off the edges.  Here is my original sketch. 


Then I really needed to figure the whole thing out.  I made a digital version because it thought it would be easier to count the pieces.  I ended up making a little “how-to” (I hesitate to call it a pattern because it is certainly not that specific) because as I was working on it a couple people asked for how I was making it.


Then came all the half square triangles…  I whipped these babies up at quilt camp.  Thank goodness for daisy chains! They actually didn’t take as long as I thought they would. Probably took longer to iron than it took to sew them!


They aren’t all that exciting to put together, but they are very satisfying when they are all in a pretty stack like that. 

Ok.  That is enough for one day.  A quilt this great needs a two day spread.  See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment