Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New Project

My husband and I (and furkids) and embarking on a special journey... we are completely remodeling the second floor of our house.  I am generally a DIY-er but this project is just too big for me to take on. 

Let me start from the beginning.  The hubbs and I got married in 2006 and instead of going on a honeymoon we decided to buy a house.  A cute little cape cod in some desperate need of love. 

We have done a TON to the house.  It would have fit in just fine in the 1970's, but not so great for us.  But this baby has good bones.  After we peeled away the lime green and orange wall paper and the 6 rooms of awful carpet we found lovely hard wood floors and nice plaster walls.  But it has been baby steps and mostly in the main rooms of the house on the first floor.

After 6 and a half years we have finally decided to take the plunge and tackle the second floor.  Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a walk-in closet, and a hallway.  Since we moved in, I managed to make the second floor livable by painting the wood paneling and neutralizing everything I could.  But we needed professional help to get it to where we want.

Queue Brad our contractor.  He is taking our entire second floor to the studs.  I'm so excited and totally terrified at the same time.  They are telling us 6-8 weeks, I can't believe it will take less than 10.  I am going to chronicle our progress here. 

So first thing is first.  I had to move my sewing room.  That makes me sad.  I moved my sewing table into the dining room.  It is right in the middle of everything now, it has way better light so we will see how that goes.  I also had to pack up all my fabric and notions, so I will just have to buy as I go because I am fairly certain that I won't be able to find any of it until we unpack.

The rest of our lives we moved into the basement and are living in the spare bedroom.  Our clothes are spread all over the house.  It took a solid 20 hours over mostly two days.  It was miserable.  Yesterday the sledge hammers started.

Here it is... empty. 



No comments:

Post a Comment