Friday, January 25, 2013

Wish on a Star Quilt Day 2

So hold your breath... today is the big reveal!

This story is continued from here.

I am sure there was a better way to do it, but because I was using so many prints within all the colors groups, I had to just lay them out on the floor one by one.  Luckily Kelly was there and she coached me through it.  She sat in a comfy chair and yelled out which color came next and I crawled around the floor laying them out.  Thank goodness quilt camp provided lots of open space for thinking though quilts.


Then I just had to sew all those little squares together.  Again it didn’t take to long.  They go together fairly easily.  This quilt was very intensive on the planning front, but once it was all laid out it was easy-peasy!

As an asside, this is the quilt I pulled out the 505 basting spray for (see here).  LOVED.IT.  Nothing budged.  I couldn't be more happy.  I won't use this for everything because it is so expensive, but I would if I could.

I struggled to think through quilting this one.  I really wanted to play in the negative space but I didn’t want it to be too intense.  I thought if I quilted densely in the cream sections, it would make the colored sections look like they were popping.  I think in some ways that it did just the opposite because I the quilting draws the eye to the negative space with the stiching... but that is ok too.

I don't generally draw on my quilting lines, I usually just follow the lines of the quilt, but because the lines changed widths so many times in this one, I drew these.  I very carefully measured so that I could do each star in one continuous line.


I always hand bind my quilts.  I tried to machine quilt once but it was such a disaster that I would have to be really desperate to try it again.  Yes it was that terrible.  I went with a solid for this one only because I couldn't decide on a print and I was running out of time.  Purple it is! 





That's it.  This one is off to its new home.  Pouty face!  I will just have to make another. 

1 comment:

  1. I love how it turned out!! And to be fair, I did get down on the floor a few times to help. :-)

    ReplyDelete